Speak to one of our specialist advisors 0808 156 7730

Q&As and Ask an Expert

Is there any sort of legally bidden contract template i could get to ensure that my ex pays debts that he had taken out in my name?

7 months ago - Posted by

My ex partner recently broke up with me, and so i need some financial advice on how to deal with the debt he owes me.

Whilst i have been in and out of hospital over the last 4 years, he has been dealing with the finances, and has got several things out in my name, now that we are not together he has promised that he will continue to pay them.

However, as they are in my name i know i am legally liable for the debt, and so i want to ensure that he continues the payments as promised.

Therefore, i wondered if i was able to present him with any sort of contract i.e. Acknowledgement of Debt of which would be legally correct, and allow me to take action should he begin to miss payments.

Many thanks.

Struggling with debt?

Find out if you are eligible to write off unaffordable debt.

1 Answer

TAD Member

7 months ago

Hi Nicole

Normally, the way this would be done if you separate and were married, is through a separation agreement drafted by a solicitor.
Essentially, you require something similar. I am not aware of anything you can download and if you want to ensure it is legally enforcible, you would be best to get something that is drafted by a solicitor.
If you do wish to draft something yourself, you want to make it relatively simple, use plain English and put it in writing. Be precise, identify the debts by name and accoubt numbers, state the balance he is agreeing to pay and whether he will be responsible for interest and charges. You should state what those interest and charges will be will be the interest and charges that are applicable under the relevant credit agreement that the debt is owed under.
State the agreement you have drafted is intended to be legally enforcible and date the document. Ensure he signs it and you should also and preferably get a witness to sign and date it. You should also give him a copy.
There is no guarantee when you draft your own legal documents that a court will legally enforce it, but there is more chance if it is clear and precise as to the intention behind it. Avoid trying to use legal jargon.
If he doesn’t pay, you may have to raise a court action against him, so a court will look at what was the intention and whether that was clear.

Debt solution finder

FREE personal debt advice

Complete our debt solution tool to get FREE individual debt advice now

  • Completely anonymous
  • Free and easy to use
Try our debt solution tool

If you have a question on a particular debt topic, you may find the answer in the questions below or in our full Q&A section.

Request debt help & advice

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean rutrum lacus at magna lacinia efficitur. Sed sodales, diam ac aliquam tristique, urna ligula eleifend lorem.

Our team of specially trained consultants can advise you on the best debt solution based on your current situation. For confidential advice Just fill in the form below and one of our team will call you back

If you consent to us contacting you for this purpose, please tick here

Live Chat

Got a question? Our advisers will point you in the right direction.

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday, 9am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays, closed
Launch chat

Call us

Got a question? Our advisers will point you in the right direction.

0808 156 7730
  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday, 9am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays, closed