Speak to one of our specialist advisors 0808 156 7730

Q&As and Ask an Expert


8 months ago - Posted by

I own my own property and 6 months ago my partner moved in. I have since found out following a visit to his old property that he does have outstanding debts. They were chasing him there, but havent followed him to my address yet. I didnt put him on the electoral role at mine, but obviously he has given my address out for things like his bank, doctors etc. Two days ago I made him move out until he sorts all of this out but in the meantime, how do I stop his debts turning up at my door. I still have some of his personal items as he is only renting a room in a house atm. Mainly these items are clothes

Struggling with debt?

Find out if you are eligible to write off unaffordable debt.

1 Answer

TAD Member

8 months ago


I am sorry to hear what has happened.
People end up in debt for lots of reasons and it may be worth chatting to your boyfriend about this. There may be underlying problems you can work together on to solve and make sure this isn’t a problem again going forward.
Essentially, you are not liable for your boyfriend’s debts. Debt collection firms normally use the address the debtor gives them, or someone else does once they have moved, or the electoral register.
It doesn’t sound like your boyfriend has done anything that would jeopardise your credit rating.
However, sometimes someone’s name and their credit rating can affect yours when you live together. This is because the credit reference agency assumes you have financial link. Where you don’t have a financial link together, you can request the credit reference agency disassociates you from that person by submitting a notice of disassociation. This process is free.
In the meantime, hopefully, it’s not so bad that you will find bailiffs at your door. If they do turn up, however, you do not need to allow them access to your home. If you suspect they are coming it’s advisable to keep your doors locked, as they can just enter.
If they do gain access to your home, they can only take your boyfriend’s property, not yours.
However, as I say it doesn’t sound like you are at that stage yet.
In the meantime, to help you and your boyfriend, why not get him to give us a call and we can discuss with him his options.

Debt solution finder

FREE personal debt advice

Complete our debt solution tool to get FREE individual debt advice now

  • Completely anonymous
  • Free and easy to use
Try our debt solution tool

If you have a question on a particular debt topic, you may find the answer in the questions below or in our full Q&A section.

Request debt help & advice

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean rutrum lacus at magna lacinia efficitur. Sed sodales, diam ac aliquam tristique, urna ligula eleifend lorem.

Our team of specially trained consultants can advise you on the best debt solution based on your current situation. For confidential advice Just fill in the form below and one of our team will call you back

If you consent to us contacting you for this purpose, please tick here

Live Chat

Got a question? Our advisers will point you in the right direction.

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday, 9am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays, closed
Launch chat

Call us

Got a question? Our advisers will point you in the right direction.

0808 156 7730
  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday, 9am to 1pm
  • Sunday and Bank Holidays, closed