question category: CCJ

unknown ccj on my property

I have discovered a ccj on my joint home from my ex husbands personal debt of which I was not aware, of as we are divorcing in the settlement he is signing his share of the house over to me . firstly can the ccj be put on a joint property without my concent and secondly will I have to pay it even tho my husband won t own any shares

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: unknown ccj on my property

You may need to seek legal advice about the divorce and any transfer of property rather than debt advice. If your ex husband had a debt and it was secured against the property then it will only be removed when the debt outstanding has been paid. If the debt is not in your name then you are not forced to pay it but you will not be able to own the share of the property that is already secured by this debt. If you go through this with the solicitor dealing with property and divorce they will be able to look at the legal documents and advise you on possibilities from there.

This question was answered by Debt Advice Foundation, an independent UK debt advice charity. If you need further help, Debt Advice Foundation provides a free, confidential helpline and can advise you. Click here to find out more.


Want to ask your own question?

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.


Our featured debt charity

Debt Advice Foundation

The Debt Advice Foundation offers:

  • Impartial advice
  • Debt solution to best suit your needs
  • Confidential helpline
  • Non-judgemental advice
  • No appointment needed