question category:

our son has had to move home for 10 weeks after 6 years he owes money

our son has had to come and stay with us for 10 weeks he left home 6 years ago and this is not his permanent address he owes money and the bailiffs say they are going to take our goods to pay his debt we don't have receipts for everything can you please help

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: our son has had to move home for 10 weeks after 6 years ...

You are not responsible for someone else’s debts and you do not have to allow a bailiff into your home if you do not wish to do so. It may be worth taking legal advice about drawing up some form of temporary lodging agreement, an inventory of goods belonging to your son, detailing his room and contents. If your son contacts the bailiffs directly and comes to an arrangement to resolve the debt then the bailiff may not have any further reason to call. He could contact any of the free advice charities and discuss with an adviser if he wanted to look at his options for dealing with his debt.

This question was answered by Debt Advice Foundation, an independent UK debt advice charity. If you need further help, Debt Advice Foundation provides a free, confidential helpline and can advise you. Click here to find out more.


Want to ask your own question?

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.


Our featured debt charity

Debt Advice Foundation

The Debt Advice Foundation offers:

  • Impartial advice
  • Debt solution to best suit your needs
  • Confidential helpline
  • Non-judgemental advice
  • No appointment needed