question category: Bailiffs

I rent a room to a friend. If bailiffs come to the house for his debts what should I do?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: I rent a room to a friend. If bailiffs come to the house ...

When a bailiff goes to a property they have a document naming the person who they need to locate and recover money from. The only items available to be taken into control are things belonging to the person named on the enforcement notice. You can deny access to your home for the vast majority of enforcement agents and if they do have permission to enter they will be able to show you documents and identity to prove that this is the case. You may need to provide information to the enforcement agent to prove that you are not the person named on their documents and proof that it is your property. You could also provide an inventory, a copy of any lodging agreement, or a statutory declaration. You may need to take legal advice on preparing these to prove the items in your home that belong to you and the items that belong to the lodger.

This question was answered by Debt Advice Foundation, an independent UK debt advice charity. If you need further help, Debt Advice Foundation provides a free, confidential helpline and can advise you. Click here to find out more.


Want to ask your own question?

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.


Our featured debt charity

Debt Advice Foundation

The Debt Advice Foundation offers:

  • Impartial advice
  • Debt solution to best suit your needs
  • Confidential helpline
  • Non-judgemental advice
  • No appointment needed